Characteristics of zircon that make it useful in dentistry:
- Neutrality with the mouth and gums and eases the process of integration with the gums that surround dressing and crowns.
- In terms of aesthetics, zircon is translucent, allowing light to slightly pass through it like with normal teeth, giving a natural appearance unlike the metal crowns that prevent light. .
- Resistance to fractures.
- Do not cause discoloration of the gums or infections.
- Ability to make bridges, coatings and veneers in light colors.
- The white structure of zircon has an important role in getting rid of the black edges that sometimes appear when using metal-based fittings.
There are two ways to make zircon dental prostheses: either manually or through computer planning. Zircon overcame many of the materials previously used in transparent, metal-free structures due to its sturdiness and durability. This is due to the nature of zircon crystals which can be separated from each other and returned to their position when subjected to strong pressure. This made its use possible in the manufacturing of long bridges.